- Critical Race Theory Georgia State University Professor and Atlanta Public School Counselor Promoted "White School Counselors Virtual Summer Affinity Group"
- Gender Ideology Fernbank Elementary School training teachers to "support gender identity issues with students"
- Consultants and Social Emotional Learning Atlanta Public Schools Implemented CASEL's Social-Emotional Learning in Response to Cheating Scandal
State Board of Education
Who's on your state board of education?
The Board consists of 14 Governor-appointed members all of whom are confirmed by the Georgia State Senate.
Have an issue with state curriculum standards or other education issues?
Contact your Board of Education.
When's the next election/appointment?
All 14 members are appointed by the governor. Georgia elected Brian Kemp in 2022. The next election is in 2026, and whomever is the governor will appoint the school board members.
Department of Education
“The Georgia Department of Education oversees public education throughout the state, ensuring that laws and regulations pertaining to education are followed and that state and federal money appropriated for education is properly allocated to local school systems.
The department also informs parents, teachers, government officials, and the media of education-related news.”
How did your district perform during the 2021-2022 school year?
Check your district’s report card.
Use this tool to find your state representative and state senator.
Similar to Congress, the Georgia General Assembly is divided into the House of Representatives and Senate. Your Senate Education Committee Members can be found here, and your House Education Committee Members can be found here.
These committees conduct hearings, review, and amend bills proposed by a member of their legislative chamber. They also review bills after they have been passed by the other chamber of legislature. Remember, both chambers must pass a bill before it goes to the governor’s desk for a signature or a veto.
Recent Education Laws
- Parent's Rights Law Georgia passed a parent’s rights law in April 2022, which amended Title 20 of the Official Code of Georgia. The state cannot “infringe on the fundamental right of a parent to direct the upbringing and education of his or her minor child.” This protects a parent’s right to review instructional materials at school and access medical records of a child. Schools may not withhold information from parents regarding a minor child, which includes information such as a child’s “gender identity” or preferred name and pronouns.
- Banning Divisive Concepts Georgia passed another law in April, introduced to the state legislature as House Bill 1084, that banned divisive concepts. This law also established a high school athletics executive oversight committee that has the authority to prohibit biological males from playing in women’s sports.
Several districts in Georgia held school board elections in 2022. Ballotpedia tracks school board races in the largest 200 cities in the United States. You can read more about Georgia’s 2022 school board races on this Ballotpedia page.